Getting Life Insurance After a DUI
"When you apply for life insurance after having a DUI or DWI, it is easy to feel stereotyped. It helps to use an experienced life insurance agency that knows what companies will give you the best rates."
Let our years of experience lower your rates
Call 866-866-0242 for a quote
How DUI Affects Life Insurance
Life insurance underwriters consider many factors when reviewing the life insurance application from someone who has had a "driving under the influence" or "driving while intoxicated" charge. Some are:
1) When was the first time you had a DUI?
2) When was the last time you had a DUI?
3) Was it due to alcohol or drugs?
4) Did you go to treatment for substance abuse? If so, how many times? When was the last time?
5) Have you partaken of drugs or alcohol since your offense?
6) Have you had repeat offenses?
7) Is your driver's license suspended?
Often, it is a numbers game, applying after a certain number of days have passed so that you can be approved. Again, different companies have different waiting periods, so using an agency that is familiar with these waiting periods can help you get your best rate. Sometimes it works best to take a "no exam" policy first, then apply for a larger, medically underwritten policy a few years down the road, when you can qualify for a better rate.